Thursday, September 3, 2009

2nd Timothy study, part 24

Well, well, well, look who's reading my blog! JK! I wish I knew who you were! Please post a comment when you drop by! :P Remember to pray before we start a'studying today! Btw, today we are doing some incredible verses that I just love! Enjoy!

6. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

The first verse is pretty amazing for anyone to say. That is the verse, I think, that every missionary should memorize, study, ponder, and meditate on; having applied it to themselves. See what it says when you turn it into a question. "Am I ready to be offered? Is the time for my departure close at hand?" See? When I asked myself that question, I did not immediately give an answer. For I knew not. Am I ready to go into missions, am I ready to offer myself fully to God, trust Him with everything, even my life? To be honest, I answered no. Why? Because I am a girl, just going into high school, finally starting to dig into God's word, shy, very different from all other girls I know, and trying to learn to listen for God's voice. I am not ready, and I know that. I just pray that God makes me ready. For the other question, I have no idea.

Paul did not ask these questions, and no one asked them of him. He just firmly stated that he was ready to be offered, and that he was leaving soon. Ask yourself those two questions. And, if you want, share your answers with me, I don't have to publish them if you'd rather not tell the world. :) I've done that before.

The next verse is verse seven, it says, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." I wish with all my heart that I will be able to say that one day! Don't you? One thing I just noticed as I was typing the verse out, is the different occupations that he uses here. Soldier and athlete. Do you remember when he used those before??? It was in chapter two verses three, four, and five! Paul says that he has fought the good fight. He makes three statements in one. 1. He participated in the fight. 2. It is a good/worthy fight. 3. That he is done fighting, he fought, not IS fighting.

He also says that he has finished his course. He has completed the race, he is done. The last thing he says is the most important, I think. He says that he has "kept the faith." He not only finished, but he finished with honour. He never gave up the faith, he kept it, he never let it go, he always depended on God, even when he was stoned or put in prison or ridiculed. That is the main one that I hope to say one day, I hope to say that I not only fought the good fight, and finished the course, but that I kept the faith, all the way through.

In verse eight Paul tells of things to come. He says that "there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness." Isn't it awesome when you win a game/race and get a trophy? It's exciting right? How amazing it will be, when we are given a crown! Of righteousness no less!

Next we need to find out some things about this. Who shall give it? "...which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day." What day? I'm not so sure about that one. Probably on judgment day...I don't know.

To who shall it be given?
"...and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." What does that mean? That love his appearing? Well, those who love his appearing will know what's happening, right? Those who will know what's happening, and who's coming, will be the Christians, right? Not necessarily. What about the non-Christians who know some of the things of the Bible? That is a good point. But what does Paul say? Does he say that the crown will be given to those who know what's happening? No! He says that the crown will be given to those that love his appearing! Those that are jumping for joy and coming out of their skin (not literally!) because their Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ has returned!

Well, that's all for now. I hope this is benefiting y'all, and that you are enjoying reading them. I know I love this book even more than I knew when I started! God bless!

In Him,
Buttercup :D

No comments:

Visitors