Friday, August 7, 2009

2nd Timothy study, part 15

Hello! I hope y'all are looking forward to the weekend. I sure am! Remember to pray!

Today I am doing part b. If you know what I mean. I am doing the same verses as yesterday, but not. I am really doing verses 3b-5, but they are all talking about the same thing as yesterday, they are in the same group. If you want to see yesterday's post, click here.

1. This know also that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontienent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4. Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5. Having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

And here are the different characteristics that we are talking about.
  • Lovers of their own selves
  • covetous
  • boasters
  • proud
  • blasphemers
  • disobedient to parents
  • unthankful
  • unholy
  • without natural affection
  • trucebreakers
  • false accusers
  • incontinent
  • fierce
  • despisers of those that are good
  • traitors
  • heady
  • highminded
  • lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God
  • having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof
The first one we are doing today is, "fierce." What could Paul mean my this? I think that he might mean it exactly the way you read it. The people will be fierce, not rude/mean/unkind, but fierce, really mean. Totally against one or more persons/nations/people groups. Enemies.

Next is, "despisers of those that are good." The ungodly people of that age will despise us Christians. Just like right now in most countries! Christians will be hated and despised.

The next one is, "traitors." What is a traitor? Someone who betrays someone or some group of people. Traitors are people that say they are loyal to a certain person/group of people/country, and then go against them.

"Heady." What does that mean? Well, in my mind it is basically, an "all about me" attitude. For example, when they get a nice comment/get praised for something, it goes to their 'head' and they think they are great or mighty or beautiful.

The next one is, "highminded." What could that mean? Dictionary.com defines it as, "having or showing high, exalted principles or feelings." So, I think, that it means that the people will think of themselves as " I am the greatest" or "I am the highest" or "I am the most important," etc.

The eighteenth one is, "lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God." This one is clear. It says that people will love their things more than they love God. You know what that is?! It is stuff worship! If something is so important to you, that you spend lots of time with it, and/or your time thinking about it, then you're worshipping it! I worship God. I read my Bible and pray, before I do anything else. Now, we are all human, and we all make mistakes, I haven't always done that (read and pray first). To tell y'all the truth, I've only done it off and on throughout about a year. This is a very, very important thing! If you love money or cars or notebooks or tin cans* or anything else more than you love God, that means that that thing is first in your life, and God is further down on your list of priorities. That is when you either get convicted or someone comes up to you and says, "You need to get your priorities straight!"

In verse five, Paul writes, "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." So, the people will still act kinda godly, they might go to church, they might own a Bible, etc. But Paul says that they will have a "form of godliness," they won't be godly, they will be like actors on a stage; they are not that person, they are pretending that they are that person, almost like deceiving others and themselves.

"But denying the power thereof." What does that mean? It means that even though they will look like godly people, they will deny the power of God. They will not truly believe, they will deny Him.

The last part of the verse says, "from such turn away." THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Paul warns us that we must turn away from such things, if we don't we very well might be deceived, and we might be lost. We must have self-control and turn away from such things.

Well, that's it for now. Later this weekend, maybe tomorrow or tonight, I am going to post the recap for chapter two, I forgot to do that. Whoops! God bless y'all! I hope y'all have a great weekend! ~Buttercup~

*I know that was cheesy, but I couldn't think of another example! LOL.

No comments:

Visitors