Thursday, July 15, 2010

God is like unto a Rock...

Hey y'all, I just realized yesterday or the day before that I forgot to post the rest of this article...in April! oops. Sorry! And, I just looked at my other post and somehow it got messed up. :( I really don't know how, but, here's the whole article!

______________________

God is like unto a Rock
A huge boulder
An immovable stone

Multiple times in the Old Testament, God is referred to as a "Rock". In the book of 2 Samuel it says: "Who is a rock, save our God?" and "...neither is there any rock like our God." and in Deuteronomy: "He is the Rock." Our God is the one and only Rock! Who else can we stand upon other than God? No one and no thing. He is the only rock.

And in Psalms it says: "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer: my God, my strength, in whom I will trust: my buckler, and my horn of my salvation, and my high tower." God is not only our rock, but as it says in that verse, He is so much more than that! He protects us, delivers us, and is our strength.

In Matthew, Jesus tells a parable about two men, one built his house on the rock; the other built his house on the sand. What do you think happens? Read this story to find out!

Matthew 7:24-27 (King James Version)

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mind, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these saying of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

And when David was running from King Saul, the man who wanted to kill him, he trusted God. In Psalm 94:22, he calls God "my refuge" and "my defense". God protected David when Saul was seeking to kill him. And David knew it was God's doing and not his. So he wrote psalms of praise to God, such as this one: "I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies." (Psalm 18:3) And, "Be thou exalted, LORD in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power." (Psalm 21:13) And, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped:therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him." (Psalm 28:7)

We need to stand on the Rock. We need to build our foundation, not on the sand, but on the solid Rock. In a hymn that I have known since I was little it says: "On Christ the solid Rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand."

What are you standing on? What kind of foundation are you building your house on? Will your house survive the storm? Will it collapse at the first wind? Or stand for a little while then fall? Or will it be able to withstand all of the storms that hit it?

In Christ alone,
Buttercup

*Note: I originally wrote this as an article for Go Ye Therefore magazine, and edited by a good friend.*

No comments:

Visitors