Thursday, February 18, 2010

What does it mean to be a Rebelutionary?

Have you ever heard of The Rebelution? Have you ever heard of Alex and Brett Harris? or Do Hard Things? or Start Here? Have you ever thought about what it means to be a "Rebelutionary?" I have.

My definition:

Rebelutionary - a person (mostly teenagers) who are fighting against low expectations.

Well, lets start from the beginning for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about....

The Rebelution was started by Alex and Brett Harris, twin brothers who wanted to make a good impact on teens. They not only started the Rebelution, but they wrote bestselling book "Do Hard Things." Which, teens all over the world have read. I have also read it, and I totally encourage you to read it also! It was written by teens, for teens. And it tells why you should "Do Hard Things," get out of your comfort zone, and do things that will make a difference. Since it was written by teens, they wrote it in a way that would both attract, grab a hold of, and inspire teens to make a difference.

Now, their second book, "Start Here" is almost out! And they are doing a book bomb on Amazon.com on the 23rd of this month! Which is next Tuesday. So be sure to go to their site (www.therebelution.com) and pledge to order one or more copies of the book!

Now, What does it mean to be a Rebelutionary?

To me, it means that you rebel against low expectations, that you do things outside of your comfort zone, that you make a difference in this world that will last, that you show the world what teens can do. What teens can do through Christ.

Lets define "low expectations". Low expectations is what adults have for teenagers these days, they expect almost nothing, or nothing, out of teens. They think we can do nothing, they don't think anything good can come from a teenager. And, sometimes, I agree with them...in the way that, the teens know that the adults in their life expect nothing, so they don't do anything. They do just what the adults expect. Nothing. Which is easy! It's easy to do nothing. But we must get out of that! That is what Alex and Brett are trying to tell teens! They are trying to get teens all over the world to do more, do over and beyond what is expected of them! That is what the Rebelution is! It's a group of teens rebelling against low expectations, rebelling, not against their parents, teachers, and other authorities, but they are rebelling against the expectations they have for them.

What is your definition of The Rebelution?

Have you read Do Hard Things? What did you think of it?

What kind of an impact are you making on the people around you right now? Do they see Christ though you? Or do they see a useless teenager?

I am looking forward to seeing your answers to the first two questions! God bless!

In Christ,

Buttercup

P.S. when I was talking about adults having low expectations for teens, I was talking about most teens and adults. Some adults know what teens can do, some teens know what they can do, and they do it. So, don't get the impression that I was talking about all teens and adults, because I wasn't. :) Just wanted to clarify that.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Great post... very thought provoking! I think I might have to do a blog post with my answers to your questions. =D

Emily said...

Hey, Buttercup! May I use some of your post here in my post? I will (of course!) link back to you and give you the credit for it. If you're not okay with that, it's fine. Just thought I'd ask!
Thanks!
Emily

Buttercup said...

sure! That's fine with me! :) I'll be checking your blog for your post! *wink*

Visitors