Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tis a Rare and Unusual Species

How many teens have you personally met that are just completely on fire for God? Or rather, how many people, no matter their age, have you met that are on fire for God?

Probably not many.

We live in an age where there are many "Christians", and many Christians, but not many flaming Christians.

Many call themselves believers, but are not.

Many who call themselves believers, and truly are, are hard to spot because they are afraid of what will happen if they shine their little light is the dark world.

We are a rare species. We who are on fire.

Am I on fire? Not as much as I'd like. Shame on me if those around me are not sure if I'm a Christian.

So, what can we do? 

I'm not going to go running down the street screaming that I'm a believer. They'd just think I'm insane and lock me up.

But I'm not going to sit in my bedroom all day every day and not shine my light to the outside world either.

Like most everything, there is a balance. 

I think that one of the only things that shouldn't be balanced is what we are willing to do for Christ, and to further His kingdom. Within reason, yes. We're not going to walk into a village in the middle of nowhere where we're sure we'll be killed before we can open our mouths, that doesn't accomplish anything. But we shouldn't be so consumed with our own lives that we simply aren't willing to risk them for Him who died for us.

Getting back to the subject, we've been called to be different.

We've been called to be the green blade of grass in a field of brown, the only light in a dark world, the fish who swims against the current while the others just flow with it.

In a sin-filled world, being a Christian implies being different

No true change on the inside means no true change on the outside either. We've gotta be washed from the inside out. As we grow in our relationship with Christ, as we read His word, talk with Him and spend time with Him, our words, actions, and attitudes will change. The more time you spend with Christ, the more you will begin to act like Him. It's just like with anyone you spend time with. That's why it's so important to be around believers and people that love God, and to not hang out so much with people who are consumed in the world. Who you hang out with will form you into what they are.

Don't go swim with the others. 

Don't turn brown by spending time with the wrong people. 

Don't hide your light. Shine it.

1 comment:

Poohbear said...

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine:)

Great post!!!

lol

Visitors